Monday, April 2, 2012

Roma Victa

Landed in Rome, and things really took off running.

First off, we met up with some friends!


"Tartufo" at Tre Scalini near Piazza Navona, which is basically chocolate mouse with chocolate chunks and a couple of rum soaked cherries inside.  I call these "Troofey Doofey"


Trevi Fountain.
I think by now it's been scientifically proven that Scott cannot be in a picture without looking completely drunk.



Came back to our pad and the wine began flowing freely.

Fresh fruit outside of The Forum.  Caesar appears concerned.




Check out the Pizzarium I discovered!


These were Jessah's.  I believe the left one was rosemary, sausage and white turnip, and the right one was carpaccio, parmeasan and arugula.


These were the first two I ordered.  Foreground is roasted tomato and mozzarella (those tomatoes were amazing).  One in the background is rabbit, pate and caramelized onion.




An indication of a truly classy joint is when you must eat on the sidewalk :)


Aranccini - fried rice balls stuffed with cheese.  Jessah hates these.


If you watch the full episode of The Layover: Rome that I posted above, the final place that Tony visits before leaving Rome is Cacio e Pepe.  Unfortunately right this second I cannot find that portion of the episode on YouTube where Tony visits the place, but Cacio e Pepe is sort of considered the specialty dish of Rome.  It's very simple: fresh noodles, pecorino romano cheese, and pepper.  You can also get it with bacon on it, which some at our table did, and I certainly will do in the future, but for my first try I wanted to go with the original.

So simple, but outstanding.  I have already decided that I'm going there again before I leave (and probably back to Pizzarium once more as well!


Before we bid arrivederci to Scott, Elli, Steph and Eric, we had to hit up one last gelato place, which just turned out to be the best one so far:


Three flavors: Grand Marnier, Cubano Rum, and Almond.  Best gelato I've ever had:
Gelateria della Gracchi




No comments:

Post a Comment

- See more at: http://www.bloggerology.com/2013/06/chronological-order-blogger-posts.html#sthash.EBIElZtF.dpuf