Monday, April 16, 2012

Bologna

Leaving our agroturismo, we decided to spend one evening in the center of Bologna.  Bologna is the capital of a region of Italy called Emilia Romagna, which is considered the food capital of Italy.  

There's an area near the center of town called the "Quadrilatero" - it's a square block of food places that look like this:


Ham, cheeses, olives, pasta...


Artisinal gelato shops... (this place was a recommendation of Mario Batali)


The streets were littered with Enotecas (wine bars):



And for dinner, we had to check out a place called "Ristorante Diana".  Mario Batali: "Their lasagna will make you cry."



It didn't make me cry, but I will say that the Bologna region has remarkable lasagna.  The restaurant across the street from our agroturismo ("Jari") - these were both the same style of lasagna and the best I'd ever had.  What makes them unique is that they are just layer upon layer of noodle, but the noodle is so tender that it's hard to describe.  Wonderful! 



2 comments:

  1. In the photo with the lasagna, I look like I'm pointing at myself and saying "get in my belly!" I know that's what I was thinking.

    And OH. MY. GOD. that pear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so much food so little time. Epicurean delight I believe that is where they were from. Go figure. The tastes and smells of Italy is truly dramatic to the palate.

    ReplyDelete

- See more at: http://www.bloggerology.com/2013/06/chronological-order-blogger-posts.html#sthash.EBIElZtF.dpuf